Monday, February 19, 2007

Rachel Sweater for Me







In a book Hot Knits by By Melisssia Leapman and Joe VanDeHatert has several lovely patterns I will probably knit several of these. However the first sweater I have choose to knit is the Rachel I have chosen Plymouth's Baby Alpaca Brushed in Green 1290 I have never seen nor touched this yarn, knew not much about it other than it being 75% alpaca and 25% acrylic, so I went to www.knittersreview.com to see if I could find a review by them for this yarn. There it was and to quote them "Yarn Profile: Plymouth Baby Alpaca Brush
First Impressions Baby Alpaca Brush has a built-in soundtrack that goes something like this. Every time someone picks it up, they let out a delighted "ooooooooh!"This unusual yarn has the plush softness of angora and the cozy blur of mohair, yet it contains not a trace of either fiber.Instead, it consists primarily of four plies of alpaca (taken from the first shearing) that have been blended with a small amount of acrylic, spun into one strand that is then brushed to a dreamy cloudlike texture." (To read more go to http://www.knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/040930_a.asp) I was almost sold, the price? Very affordable. Ok now I was sold. I hoped and prayed that it lived up to the review. When I received it... OMG! It was softer than I expected. It feels like a soft fluffy cloud. When I was a little girl I had a special word for things that were really really soft, I have no clue where I got this word but this was very very cheecho. The only issue I have with this yarn is because it's brushed it tends to tangle when I try to pull it from the middle of the skein, I could either keep the yarn frozen and take it out of the freezer one at a time as I knit or I could start on the outside of the ball. I'm starting outside of the ball. It's hard enough for the DH to see the yarn in the freezer when I first get it but to have it stay there??? I think that would send him over the edge. (lol) Maybe next house I will have my own freezer to store the yarn. I have to hurry and knit this as quickly as possible I want to wear this at the North Texas Irish Festival. I also have to start Heidi's sweater and Rene's shrug.

No comments: